Last Week in Pony - July 16, 2017
Last Week In Pony is a weekly blog post to catch you up on the latest news for the Pony programming language. To learn more about Pony check out our website, our Twitter account @ponylang, our users’ mailing list or join us on IRC.
Got something you think should be featured? There’s a GitHub issue for that! Add a comment to the open “Last Week in Pony” issue.
The Week of Hoffman
It was the week of Kevin Hoffman. Kevin’s a new addition to the Pony community. Saturday before last he contacted us on Twitter and it’s been a whirlwind eight days since. Three blog posts written, an RFC opened, and a couple pull requests is a heck of a first week. Welcome to the community Kevin!
My First Pony
This past week, we launched what we hope is a regular series of blog posts on ponylang.io from members of the community. “My First Pony” will feature posts from community members about their early experiences using Pony. Ideally, written “in the moment”. If you are interested in participating, email Sean T. Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The only caveat for “My First Pony” is that we ask you keep things positive. No talking down on other languages and tools. We’re here to celebrate Pony and discuss its flaws. We can do that without running down other languages. We’re building an upbeat, welcoming, positive community and we want “My First Pony” to reflect that spirit.
Items of note
- The pull request that will break every Pony codebase is here. “Explicit Partial Calls” is landing soon.
- Audio from the July 12, 2017 Pony development sync is available for your listening pleasure. I was on vacation so I can’t tell you what they discussed, but I’m sure it was good.
News and Blog Posts
- My First Pony by Kevin Hoffman
- Composition over Inheritance in Pony by Kevin Hoffman
- Rolling the Dice with Pony by Kevin Hoffman
Interested in making a change, or keeping up with changes to Pony? Check out the RFC repo. Contributors welcome!